Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

On September 11, 2001 the world changed. For days after, I could not focus on anything, my mind was in a complete tailspin.

I cried a lot, prayed a lot and thought about all the families that lost a son, a daughter, a brother or sister or a friend.

I thought about all the police and firemen, in their attempt to save lives - gave their own.

I thought about Father Mychael Judge - a man that served both the Lord and men. Father Judge was a chaplain to the fire department and was giving last rites to a fireman killed by a falling body.

I thought about the survivors that will live with the unimaginable horror burned into their memory for the rest of their lives.

I thought about the people that jumped from the windows of the World Trade Centers in a futile attempt to escape the smoke, fumes from fuel and the flames consuming the top floors of the skyscrapers.

I thought about the NYPD and FDNY that lost so many of their own and yet they kept serving and working.

I still think about the children that lost parents, some lost both. My heart continues to break for them.

I thought about all New Yorkers and prayed for all.

I thought about my friend, Elaine and her son enlisted as a United States Marine and what this would mean to their family. He was among the first deployed and was injured when his helicopter crashed. He continues to serve our country today. Thank you Timothy Hale-Booth and all our military.

I thought about Rudy Giuliani and the leaders that had to step up and deal with a disaster beyond imagination.

I learned what sorrow older generations felt when Pearl Harbor was attacked.

When I think about September 11, it all comes rushing back. The fear, the sadness and uncertainty of what would follow - it still haunts me today.

Now, seven years later - I still mourn for my neighbor's son that was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. Michael Luke Boatright was weeks from completing his service. He left behind a loving wife (his high school sweetheart) and three small children.

I hope that one day, the one good thing that came out of September 11 will come back without requiring another attack. In the days and weeks following that horrifying morning, Americans came together to stand as one nation. Political parties did not matter. Skin color did not matter. For a time, we were truely one - we cried together, we prayed together, we grieved together. Strangers were helping strangers. People from all over the country gave their money, their time and their blood for New York - for fellow Americans. This is my prayer in memory of all those lost September 11, 2001.

No comments: